The Group of Studies of Authorial and Industrial Rights – GEDAI/UFPR nowadays is linked with the Program of Post-graduation in Law of Universidade Federal do Paraná – UFPR. It was created in May 2007 at Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina and transferred in 2013 to Universidade Federal do Paraná.
GEDAI/UFPR has as its most important goal to study Property Intellectual Rights development into Society of Information through comparison of: international system of authorial and industrial rights; analysis of achievement process of rights and cultural diversities and the observation about intellectual rights governance.
To reach this goal, three specific purposes are considerate: (i) comprehension of the effects of fundamental right to the culture and cultural diversity into contemporary society, by analyzing the boundaries of copyrights into the custody of immaterial goods; (ii) rating of the consequences of the technological revolution and the advent of digital culture about the regulation of intellectual rights; (iii) identification of the content of legal protection and the range of cultural production which is developed throughout public institutions.
Further more, GEDAI/UFPR wants to encourage the researching in Brazil and, to make it real, get involved with some other academic teams, as example:
- PROCAD – Information Society; Democracy; Development and Technological Inclusion.
- PROCULTURA – Cultural Rights and the Challenge of Rights Regulation;
- CNPq Project – In pursuit of a legal limit to creative economy: The reflex of information society on creative work of intellectual property (CNPq/SEC/MinC N.º 80/2013).
The group is composed by researchers, masters and doctors which dedicate their studies to many areas of Intellectual Property into the following lines of researching:
- Intellectual Property – Innovation and Knowledge: to analyze legal custody of the new intellectual goods which came with the new Information Technology to reach the socioeconomic development that promotes innovation, technological inclusion and knowledge diffusion.
- Copyright – Fundamental Right and Cultural Diversity: to comprehend the effects of fundamental right to culture on boundaries of authorial rights; protection and circulation of cultural production developed in public institutions; functions of cultural citizenship in the process of social inclusion; public policies of culture and legal regulation of cultural rights.
- Creative Economy: Intellectual Property and Development – to study Copyright as a judicial instrument able to serve as a legal framework to the formulation of public policies that strengthen the creative and dynamic industries to reach to a Sustainable and Creative Economy.
- International Regime for Intellectual Property - Treaties and International Organizations (OMC, OMPI e UNESCO): to evalue International System of Intellectual Property custody in view of technological revolution of information, new methods of communication, expression, production of intellectual goods and how new social networks favour the exchange of knowledge.
- Information Society – Development and Technological Inclusion: to analyze new methods of intellectual goods creation (collaborative works), creative transformation (samplers), distribution/sharing becoming from social networks (P2P) and knowledge socialization as a paradigm of the digital culture about authorial rights regulation.
- Rights of Information and Communication New Technologies (TIC’s): to identify content of judicial protection and the range of circulation of cultural production developed in public institutions and of competition regime applied to new Internet medias.
- Intellectual Property and Competitive Law: to comprehend the interface of competitive law and intellectual property into new styles of business on Information Society focusing on productive sections of Creative Economy.
GEDAI researchers work to reach the following results:
Scientific Production and Academic Orientation:
- Scientific research developed by articles, thesis and essays which pursue to face challenges to intellectual rights against new technological ambience arising from Technology of Information Revolution.
- Academic Orientation is in the parameters established by Program of Post-graduation in Law of Universidade Federal do Paraná (PPGD/UFPR).
- Academic Orientation stimulates the research in the area of Intellectual Property Law through monograph research, scientific initiation and teaching.
Research and work divulgation
- Divulgation of research is based on publication of contributions of GEDAI members on specialized magazines.
- Also, the work is publicized on: www.gedai.com.br
- Newsletters are sent to scientific community approaching legal changes, jurisprudential tendencies and recent bibliography about intellectual rights.
- GEDAI promotes events as workshops, symposia, seminars and conferences which are organized to divulgate and enlarge academic production. As an example, GEDAI performs every year the Conference on Copyright and Public Interest (CODAIP).